Philly Insects AR - Experience the wonderful world of insects in augmented reality with the Philly Insects AR app!
The Philadelphia Insectarium and Butterfly Pavilion wanted to offer visitors an experience that would allow them to engage with the lnsectarium mural, transforming the museum experience from passive to interactive.
Yetzer guided the strategy, development and implementation of the experience, working with the museum to create the app.
The Philly Insects AR app demonstrates how our augmented reality solutions can help leverage mobile devices to assist in providing large-scale experiences for public institutions, businesses and community spaces.
Philly Insects AR has two modes:
1. Mural Mode
In "Mural Mode", visitors position their device over the mural to watch how a monarch butterfly emerges from its chrysalis in augmented reality! Using Image Recognition, the mural graphic is tracked to display the interactive 3D animation and video. Virtual buttons link to both the Insectarium website and the project page, respectively.
2. Photo Mode
ln "Photo Mode", users can take a photo with family and friends and the virtual butterfly to save it to their camera roll or share it via social media with others!
How Mural Mode Works
“This application has, without fail, captivated patrons from the moment it went live at our museum. We have successfully incorporated it into programs for all ages and continue to find new ways to make use of the new technology. Yetzer sees what things can be."
- Dr. John Cambridge / Philadelphia Insectarium and Butterfly Pavilion / CEO
Yetzer Studio AR Solutions
• Increase ticket sales and number of visitors
• Engage through interactivity, making learning individualized and fun
• Allow for a more memorable and satisfying museumgoer and user experience
• Verify accuracy made possible by leading experts in natural science
• Increase "virality" from users sharing AR content on social media